Data Required for Civil Engineering Estimation:
For preparing an Estimation in the Construction industry, a range of data and other factors needs to be taken into due consideration. To extract a detailed construction estimate, the estimating person ought to consider the following data:
1. Sections, maps, plans, and other significant work details.
2. A plan of specifications indicative of the precise nature and group of materials that are desired to be employed.
3. The prices at which the diverse work items are employed and executed.
To allow an estimator to determine the quantities precisely, the sketches/map of plan ought to be lucid, factual and true, absolute, and wholly measured.
Steps in Preparing Civil Engineering Estimation:
There are 3 visibly defined steps in preparing civil engineering estimation. They are mentioned as follows:
1. Take-out Quantities
In this preliminary step, the dimensions are extracted from the graphs and drawings and pierced into the dimension paper or measurement sheet. The unit of measurement decides the measurements that are to be engaged in. For instance, in the stone masonry case, the walls’ height, thickness, length, and superstructure above the level of plinth are gauged through the drawings given and fitted into the sheet of measurement, while, in the plastering case, the heights and lengths are only entered in. Apparently, in the former case, the measurement unit is cubic meter while in the latter case, it is square meter.
2. Square out
The next step entails the computation of areas, volumes, etc. and subsequently spreading the total in the documented units of measurement.
In the final step, all the articles together with the net results attained in the previous step are shifted from the dimension paper to particularly ruled sheets containing a column for rates to enable pricing.
The above mentioned last two steps are termed as ‘working up’. All the computations in these two stages and every shifted entry ought to be confirmed by a different person to make sure that no copying or mathematical errors take place.
Unit of Measurement Principles:
While working out the civil engineering estimation, a novice might find it hard to bear in mind the measurement units of diverse articles and materials. It becomes vastly easy to memorize the measurement units if he/she is responsive of the pertinent principles attached with the choice of selecting these units. While selecting the unit of measurement, the below given vital principles must be taken care of:
1. The measurement unit ought to be straightforward and easy to compute, document and realize.
2. It should allow for fair imbursement for the work drawn in.
3. The per unit price shouldn’t be either too small or too large.
4. Eventually while drawing out result, it should determine quantities that are neither extremely insignificant nor extremely outsized.